Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Blooming Bloomsburg University


One afternoon in early April, I got to experiernce the central Pennsylvania college life. While waiting for a "Jack's Mannequin" concert to begin, I spent the afternoon exploring Bloomsburg University. After having a famous "burrito" at the burrito shop in town, I wandered up to campus. Contrary to my prior belief, the Bloomsburg campus is a lot bigger than what I imagined. The campus is big enough that it has to be split up into two parts (upper and lower).
As I made my first approach towards "lower" campus I found myself driving on a main road that consisted of many little outlet stores and places to eat. At the end of the road was an enormous building which to me resembled an old historic that may have been found in a place like Philadelphia or Washington D.C. The body of the building was made up of red bricks and the top of it was an oval that was painted gold. At this point, I wasn't sure if I found a classroom building or the house of the great and powerful Oz. I don't know, maybe I was traveling on a yellow brick road. As it turns out, it was just one of the university buildings on campus. That is when I first realized how beautiful the architecture on this campus was. At this point, I headed up to "Greek Row". I was now overwhelmed by houses that looked like they might be a drug haven with letters of the Greek alphabet painted on the side. Being that I am in a fraternity at Pitt-Johnstown that has its house on-campus, I was always curious of what off campus Greek life would be like. After seeing these houses, I would take having to deal with an RA any day. Unfortunately, my fraternity did not have a local chapter at Bloomsburg University so I was not able to see inside one of the houses.
Before deciding to spend an afternoon at Bloomsburg, I decided that although I wanted to see what the campus looked like visually, I thought it was as equally important to get a sense of what the atmosphere was like. To try to accomplish this, I decided to walk up to a random person, ask for directions, and then try to strike up a conversation. I met a man named James who was attending that same concert that I was later that night. James and I talked about music, school, and everyday life. After talking for over twenty minutes, I realized that Bloomsburg at least had one friendly student.
After my new friend and I said our goodbyes, I continued to explore the campus and was amazed at how like the first academic building I saw, the campus architecture was amazing. I even found myself wondering if I took a wrong turn and ended up at an ivy league school like Penn or Yale. Being that I already spent a couple of hours on campus, I decided that it was time to leave. On the drive home I reflected on my experience and came to the conclusion that Bloomsburg University would not be a bad place to spend four years as an undergraduate.

No comments:

Post a Comment