Wednesday, April 21, 2010


One day, I was driving home from my girlfriends house and was distressed that I may never see normal civilization again. I say this because she lives in a place called Danville, Pennsylvania, which an extremely small town in central PA. It was not until I was on 99 South that I got a preview of what I considered normal, being a city-boy from Pittsburgh.
I was on the road and all of a sudden on the horizon an enormous object appeared out of no where. At first it was a mystery to me, but then I realized that I was approaching State College and that object was Beaver Stadium on the campus of the Pennsylvania State University. I originally was not planning on stopping on campus, but since I decided that I would blog about the atmosphere of colleges, I clicked on my turn-signal and took the exit.
I had never been to Penn State and the first thing that I noticed was the size of the campus. No, I should rephrase that, the size of the "civilization". When I walked around, after getting lost several times, I started to get a sense of what going to a large school might be like. The buildings were all different shapes and sizes and quite beautiful. I feel like every building had its own unique look, but still maintained a certain style of the campus. It was a beautiful day, and I enjoyed taking the required long walk from one side of campus to the other.
I got to talking with a Penn State student named Sarah and she seemed really friendly. She told me that the classes at PSU may be difficult, but in the end the experience at the college was definitely worth the difficulties. One final thing that I would like to note about the Penn State is that I got a good sense of school spirit. Everywhere I looked there was Blue and White. This was probably one of the biggest things that I envied about the school compared to UPJ. I mean I don't think anyone really knows what a "mountain cat" actually is.

No comments:

Post a Comment