Friday, April 23, 2010


Ever since I decided to write a blog about spending time at other colleges, there is one college that I have been waiting for in particular. On a sunny Sunday afternoon, I spent some time at the University of Pittsburgh located in downtown Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I was excited for this trip because I am from Pittsburgh and I have a great sense of pride for the city. Although I have been to the campus several times in the past, I tried to analyze my experience objectively.

Surrounded by the beautiful city, Pitt has streets that seem to be alive. Down one of the main roads, you will find great places to eat, like "the original hot dog shop." Past all of the eateries, is the academic and dormitory buildings. To be honest, most of the buildings look like what you would expect a college in an urban area to look like. Some are close together and some are far apart, but Pitt has a building that is what I believe to be the most amazing structure on any college campus in the United States,the cathedral of learning. This monster looks like it could fit in with the other skyscrapers on the other side of the city. The inside is as beautiful as the outside is. The main lobby is enormous which looks like an old church. If I was to describe the cathedral in one word, it would be breathtaking.

After seeing some of the buildings, I decided to do what I did at the other schools I visited and that was to try to have a conversation with a student. In one of the courtyards I talked to a student named Ben. Ben was currently in the University's law school and he explained how difficult it was. He went onto explain that besides sometimes having hard classes, Pitt's atmosphere was great. For instance, Pitt has various great concerts throughout the year. Ironically, the band that I paid 30 dollars to see in Bloomsburg played a show at Pitt a couple of days later that was free. That was because the university covered the entire cost of bringing the band to campus.

After finishing my conversation with Ben, I walked back through the streets to my car. I was reminded of how beautiful the cathedral of learning is and that the city is very much alive. Although I know I am partial, I know that the University of Pittsburgh would be a great place to go to school. I am actually planning on applying to graduate school at Pitt and if I get in, not only will I receive a great education, but maybe I will save 30 bucks on a concert here and there.


No comments:

Post a Comment